Moving Guide and Checklist
Your Go-To Moving Checklist
We’re not going to pretend that moving isn’t stressful when we very well know that it is. Between packing and trying to remember everything you have to do when you finally move into your new space, there’s not a lot of wiggle room for procrastination.
The earlier you can get everything for your move situated, the less likely you’re going to make an unwanted mistake or feel extremely overwhelmed. That’s why our team at Abe Lincoln Movers & Storage has put together a moving guide and checklist for you. We want to help make your move as smooth as possible, and that all starts with proper preparation.
Contact us today for your residential, commercial or specialty moving service needs.
8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start researching potential moving companies to help with your move.
- Calculate any potential moving expenses.
- Create a moving folder or computer file where you can store any important information or documents regarding your move. For example, these documents could include your moving quote, a list of items you want to sell, moving expense receipts, a lease if you’re a renter, etc.
- Request time off from work if you aren’t moving on your days off.
- Plan a garage sale and schedule a pick-up time with your donation center for any of your leftover unwanted items.
6 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start collecting boxes from restaurants, office supply stores or your place of work.
- Start labeling your boxes by room.
- Take photos of your electronics’ wiring, which will help you re-wire them quicker when you arrive at your new destination.
- Measure all your doorways, stairways or elevators to ensure your furniture and large household items will fit.
- Start to pack! When you do just a little every day, you’ll save yourself the time (and the headache) of trying to do it all at once.
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Purchase moving insurance to ensure all of your valued possessions are protected during your move.
- Collect all of your legal and financial documents and put them in one folder you won’t misplace.
- Use the items you can’t sell or donate, such as frozen foods, bleach or aerosol cans.
- Cancel any of your cable, internet or phone services.
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Back up your computer in case something goes wrong during your move.
- Set up any trash removal or recycling services at your new home.
- Inform your friends and family of your address change.
- Update your driver’s license, car registration and car insurance with your new address.
- Transfer your utility services, such as your gas, electric and water, to your new address.
- Find a new pharmacy to pick up your prescriptions at, if necessary.
The Week Of Your Move
- Forward your mail! You don’t want your magazines, newspaper subscriptions, Amazon deliveries or important bills and documents going to the wrong place.
- Transfer your renter’s insurance or homeowners insurance to your new abode.
- Donate any food you don’t think you’ll eat before your move.
- Clean up around your current home! This is a courtesy move for your next tenant, and if you’re a renter, this is essential for receiving your deposit back.
Day Before Your Move
- Unplug your refrigerator and freezer.
- Make sure nothing is hiding in the small, closed off spaces of your home.
- Check the weather forecast and prepare accordingly.
- Put together a box of items you’ll need within the first day at your new place (i.e. clothes, snacks, hygiene products, etc.)
- Lay down protective layerings for your carpets and floors.
- Start collecting boxes to help out your moving company. After that, leave the rest of your move to the professionals!
- Relax or clean your new home or office space. You can go grocery shopping, introduce yourself to your neighbors or start shopping for items that will make your new house a home.