Here at Abe Lincoln Movers, nobody knows better than us just how much can go into an office move. With over 10 years in the moving industry, we have lots of experience helping people through the process of a commercial move. If you are looking for a Colorado commercial moving company, then we are the people to call! Make sure to check out our reviews and services if you are in the market for a moving company! In the meantime, here are some common dos and don’ts of moving your office or commercial building.
- Empty all of the contents of most any storage containers, especially ones that will have to be loaded onto a dolly. These will likely be turned over and their contents spilled. This includes desks, credenzas, shelving, table drawers, bookcases, storage cabinets, etc.
- Ensure that employees remove all personal belongings well before packing begins for a commercial move.
- Tag everything! Your mover will likely give you tags to use, and you need to use them! Don’t just tag big items, but smaller items, and even just component items. Trash cans, typewriters, cables, mats, remotes, chairs, it all gets tagged! Bookcases get a tag on top, chairs get a tag on the back rest, storage cabinets get tags on their front tops, and boxes get tagged on the end (not the top!).
- Make sure your moving company takes a thorough stock of all of your inventory to ensure you are covered for everything.
- Label desk pads, desk tops, char mats, chair backs, etc. with the same label as the chair/desk they belong to.
- Pay extra attention to the sequencing of labels for file cabinets, bookcases, etc. Trying to get them back in order after you have started to get everything unpacked will add a lot of hassle to your move.
- Move a printer or a photocopier with the toner still inside of it. Service or lease agents should be notified prior to the move to ensure that the equipment stays under contract.
- Empty narrow, vertical file cabinets. These are one of the few types of storage containers that will be moved with all the contents still inside.
- Leave any mechanical or electrical connections plugged into the wall. There may be some exceptions, arrangements can be made with your specific mover.
- When labeling artwork, do not place labels directly on the piece of art, but rather its packaging.
- Forget to extra carefully wrap all breakable items in either newsprint or bubble wrap to avoid damage from the move.
Follow these Dos and Don’ts, and your office move will be much easier no matter who you hire! If you are looking for a top of the line moving company in Colorado, Abe Lincoln Movers is the place to call! Please do not hesitate to reach out for more information on any of our services. We will be happy to answer any questions that you may have!