Moving isn’t only stressful for the humans in your home — it can be stressful for your furry family members as well.
Chances are, your pets are more used to your house than you are since that’s where they wait every day for you to get home from work or school. They can also sense when something is going to change, especially as you start packing up the belongings in your home, and this can make them nervous or overwhelmed. When you make the decision to move, it’s important to remember that their lives are affected, too.
That’s why, in today’s blog post, we’ll go over some tips to make your next residential move as pet-friendly as possible! On top of following these tips, we recommend hiring a team of professional movers to ensure your move goes safely and smoothly. At Abe Lincoln Movers and Storage, we can be that team.
We offer reliable, efficient residential moving services to Denver and surrounding communities, and we have more than 10 years of experience in the industry. Contact us today to get your free moving estimate, and continue reading below for some pet moving tips from our staff!
Before Your Move
Preparing for your move is just as important as the move itself for your beloved pet. Here are some tips to keep in mind before your move with Fido:
- Become familiar with your area’s new pet laws and regulations. This is more important if you’re moving into a different district, city or state. It’s important to ensure you’re following the leash laws, pet ordinances and pet licensing requirements for your new area.
- Get help from your pet’s veterinarian. If you know your pet will be nervous, reach out to your vet. They might be able to recommend behavior modification tactics or prescribe an anxiety medication for your pet.
- Make sure your pet’s identification tag and microchip are up to date. Update your pet’s microchip information and ID tag with your new address and contact information.
- Try to maintain your pet’s normal routine up to your moving day. Your pet can likely sense a big change is coming if you pack up everything at once, and that can cause them to become more stressed. Maintaining a normal routine will make them feel more at ease.
On Moving Day
It’s finally here — moving day! Now that your furry family member is prepared for the move, here are some tips to keep in mind on the actual day of your move:
- Consistently check on them and give them some love. If you’re driving far, be sure to let them out to go potty as necessary. Also, give them some love — we’re sure they’ll never complain about that, and it’ll make them feel more comforted during the moving process.
- Secure them as you’re moving items in your new home. Whether it’s by leash or a kennel, you don’t want your pet to get loose as you’re moving belongings into your new home. You want to also ensure they’re properly secured in your car if you’re driving to your new place, whether that be by a restraint tool or a crate.
When You Arrive At Your New Home
Congratulations! You overcame the overwhelming experience of residential moving and you’re finally safe and sound in your new humble abode with your furry companion. Here are some tips to keep in mind to ensure their transition is successful and they feel secure in their new home:
- Introduce them around. Early on, you should set the standard of the same rules that were in effect at your last home. For example, if they’re only allowed in certain areas of your home, get them acquainted with those areas as soon as possible.
- Take them on a walk (dogs only). This will get them familiarized with your new neighborhood, and it will also help them release any pent-up energy or stress!
Get Professional Residential Moving Help In Denver
Whether you’re moving with or without a pet, our team at Abe Lincoln Movers and Storage can provide you with high-quality residential moving services. We service Denver and other surrounding communities, such as Arvada, Cherry Creek and Westminster. If you’re looking for a professional team of movers that is known in the local area for being honest, dependable and hardworking, choose our team for your next move.
Contact us today to get your free moving quote or to schedule a moving service. You can reach us by calling (720) 893-1180 or by completing our form online.